Saturday, December 11, 2010

Capítulo 8: August/ Agosto

This chapter is what I like to call the "Oh no she didn't!!" chapter.  You can only imagine what this chapter has in store for Tita... DRAMA.  It starts off fairly happy.  Pedro and Rosaura have a new little baby girl named Esperanza, and John and Tita throw a dinner party at the ranch in order for John to ask Pedro (since Pedro is the man of the house) for Tita's hand in marriage.  Not wanting to cause a scene, Pedro of course says yes.  Everything is fine and dandy... that is until John leaves on a long trip to the United States to bring his aunt to the ranch for the wedding.  For Tita, this meant staying at the ranch longer... with Pedro nearby.  This was not good for her willpower.  There is alot of sexual tension between Pedro and Tita throughout this chapter.  Pedro showcases his annoying persistent behavior toward Tita by telling her she must refuse to marry John; because she should be with him instead.  Tita delivers some of the best lines toward Pedro in this chapter..."I entreat you, never bother me again for the rest of my life, and don't ever dare to repeat what you've just said to me, my sister might hear it and we don't need one more unhappy person in this house.  Excuse me!...Ah, and let me suggest, next time you fall in love, don't be such a coward!"  Love that line.  You see, I do think that Tita's true and oldest love is Pedro... but seriously... Pedro is such a pansy!  He should have fought for Tita when he had the chance.  As not to give everything away, but I will say that at the end of the chapter Tita does have a steamy encounter with you know who... while her fiance is away.  A nice little bit of magic realism shows up at the end of the chapter, during the steamy scene, the image of the "ghost" of Mama Elena appears as a storm.  Chencha and Rosaura see it, and don't know how to explain it... just that it is her sould dead and walking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment